Select Language

Mad About Music in America

Mad About Music in America

Over the April break I went to New York and New Jersey as part of my fieldtrip project.

Download Poster  Download Poster   Download Poster   

I spent half of my 18-day trip being a tourist and the other half of it exploring some world-class music events and observing 3 schools. I heard the well-known virtuoso pianist Andras Schiff at the Carnegie Hall playing the Mendelssohn Fantasia in F# Minor, Beethoven’s Piano Sonata No.24, Brahms’s Klavierstucke Op.76, Brahms’s Seven Fantasies Op.116 and Bach’s English Suite No.6. I also saw the young child prodigy pianist Benjamin Grovenor performing Beethoven’s Piano Concerto No 3. I attended a concert at the Lincoln Center given by the New York Philharmonic Orchestra with the famous conductor and composer Esa-Pekka Salonen in a performance of Beethoven’s ‘Eroica’ Symphony and the world premiere of ‘Metacosmos’ by Anna Throvaldsdottir. I went to an excellent production of Puccini’s ‘Turandot’ by the Metropolitan Opera where the scenery, staging sets and the costumes were very beautiful. The singing was very fine. Another evening with the Jazz legend Chick Chorea was also memorable. He played music by his idol, Thelonious Monk. There were a few more events including the ‘Phantom of the Opera’ musical on Broadway.

The first school I visited was Greenwich House Music School in New York. The school is some 100 years old where Jascha Heifetz and 2 students of Claudio Arrau used to teach. Unfortunately it was during the Easter break so there were no lessons to observe. However, the conversation with the Director was informative.

The second school that I visited was the West Windsor -Plainsboro High School North in New Jersey where I was able to observe the rehearsal of the Youth Orchestra of Central New Jersey (YOCJ) with players from 4 local schools. Their repertoire was quite difficult and included the Rachmaninoff Symphony No.2. This school has piority in its music program.

The third school that I visited was The New School for Music Study which also has more than 100 years of tradition. Here I visited many classes whether individuals, groups, beginners, or advanced students with different teachers who all eagerly shared with me their pedagogical practices. Their passion in music-making and teaching was very evident.

Overall, the atmosphere in the schools was warm, intimate and ideal for learning. The rapport between students and teachers was very good. The teaching and learning were very productive and I could not detect any stress in any of the students. The joy of music was everywhere.

It was one of my best trips where I was able to take a break yet experience and learn more. While I have gained more confidence in my teaching, I have also some changes to make to my practice as a result of what I learnt. Hopefully my students will now benefit from a wiser me.

ระหว่างวันที่ 30 มีนาคม ถึง 17 เมษายน ครูสันติได้มีโอกาสไปทัศนศึกษาและท่องเที่ยวที่ New York และ New Jersey นอกจากทำเหมือนนักท่องเที่ยวทั่วไปแล้วก็ยังได้ศึกษาหาความรู้ใหม่ๆเกี่ยวกับดนตรี ด้วย ซึ่งดนตรีที่นั่นมีมาตรฐานสูงเป็นอันดับต้นๆของโลก ครูสันติได้มีโอกาสเยี่ยมชมโรงเรียน 3 แห่ง ที่Carnegie Hall ได้ฟังนักเปียโนระดับโลก Andras Schiff แสดง Mendelssohn Fantasia in F# Minor, Beethoven’s Piano Sonata No.24, Brahms’s Klavierstucke Op.76, Brahms’s Seven Fantasies Op.116 และ Bach’s English Suite No.6. ได้ฟังนักเปียโนดาวรุ่ง Benjamin Grovenor แสดง Beethoven’s Piano Concerto No 3. ได้ดูคอนเสิร์ตที่ Lincoln Center แสดงโดยวง New York Philharmonic Orchestra นำโดยวาทยากรและนักประพันธ์ที่มีชื่อเสียง Esa-Pekka Salonen แสดงผลงาน Beethoven’s ‘Eroica’ Symphony และการแสดงเพลง ‘Metacosmos’ ของ Anna Throvaldsdottir เป็นครั้งแรกของโลก ได้ชมโอเปร่า เรื่อง ‘Turandot’ ของ Puccini โดยคณะ Metropolitan Opera ที่มีชื่อเสียง ซึ่งฉาก เครื่องแต่งกาย และการแสดง เป็นไปด้วยมาตรฐานสูงสุด ได้ชมการแสดงดนตรีแจ๊สของนักดนตรีระดับตำนาน Chick Chorea แสดงผลงานของ Thelonious Monk ที่เขาศรัทธา และยังมีการแสดงอื่นๆอีก รวมทั้งละครเพลง Broadway เรื่อง Phantom of the Opera ซึ่งเปิดการแสดงมากว่า 30 ปี โรงเรียนแรกที่ได้เยี่ยมชมคือ Greenwich House Music School ที่ New York ซึ่งเปิดมาได้ร้อยกว่าปี ที่ซึ่ง Jascha Heifetz และลูกศิษย์2คนของ Claudio Arrau เคยสอนที่นี่น่าเสียดายที่เป็นช่วงที่โรงเรียนหยุดเทศกาล Easter จึงไม่มีโอกาสได้ชมการเรียนการสอน แต่การสนทนากับผู้อำนวยการโรงเรียนก็ได้ความรู้พอสมควร โรงเรียนที่ 2 ที่ได้เยี่ยมชมคือ West Windsor -Plainsboro High School North ที่ New Jersey ซึ่งเป็นโรงเรียนที่ให้ความสำคัญกับการเรียนดนตรี ที่นี่ได้มีโอกาสชมการฝึกซ้อมของวง Youth Orchestra of Central New Jersey (YOCJ) ซึ่งมีสมาชิกมาจาก 4 โรงเรียนในละแวกนั้น เพลงที่ซ้อมกันนั้นยากพอสมควรเช่น Rachmaninoff Symphony No.2 โรงเรียนที่ 3 ที่ได้เยี่ยมคือ The New School for Music Study ซึ่งมีการเรียนการสอนมามากกว่า 100 ปีเช่นกัน ที่นี่ ได้ชมการเรียนการสอนที่หลากหลายทั้งแบบเดี่ยวและแบบกลุ่มทั้งระดับเริ่มต้นและระดับสูงซึ่งครูทุกท่านกระตือรือร้นที่จะแบ่งปันทักษะและประสบการณ์การสอนให้อย่างเต็มที่ ความลุ่มหลงในดนตรีและการสอนเห็นได้อย่างชัดเจนในครูทุกท่าน บรรยากาศโดยรวม เป็นไปด้วยความอบอุ่นและความเป็นกันเอง ซึ่งเหมาะสมกับการเรียนรู้ ความสัมพันธ์ระหว่างครูกับนักเรียนเป็นไปด้วยดีการเรียนการสอนเต็มไปด้วยประสิทธิภาพ และไม่สร้างความกดดันให้นักเรียน สามารถรับรู้ได้ถึงความสุขสนุกสนานในการเล่นดนตรี ในทุกคน เป็นการเดินทางครั้งที่ดีที่สุดครั้งหนึ่งของคุณสันติซึ่งได้ทั้งการพักผ่อน และประสบการณ์ในการทำงาน ได้เรียนรู้วิธีการใหม่ๆที่จะนำมาใช้ ได้เห็นถึงวิธีการที่ใช้เป็นปกติอยู่แล้วและครูที่นั่นก็ใช้เช่นกัน ทำให้เกิดความมั่นใจมากขึ้น หวังว่าลูกศิษย์ทุกคนจะได้รับประโยชน์จากครูที่มีประสิทธิภาพมากขึ้นครับ